When Milwaukee’s cold weather arrives, there’s nothing better than coming inside a warm, toasty home. To make sure this remains possible, heating systems need to be kept in shape. A heating system that struggles to warm your home means higher energy bills and less home comfort. If you think your furnace could be doing a better job, try these heating tips to help your heating system work at its best.
• Get a tune up. A yearly inspection by an HVAC professional combined with routine maintenance will ensure your furnace operates at peak performance.
• Allow circulation. Move furniture, or anything else that obstructs vents. Don’t allow dust to collect on vents.
• Replace furnace filter. Air filters should be changed frequently. A clogged filter will strain your heating system, using more energy to produce less heat.
• Install a programmable thermostat. Don’t waste energy heating your home when you aren’t home, but don’t set your thermostat to lower than 68° – it will use more energy catching up when temperature drop.
• Clear outside vents. Make sure no snow or ice are blocking outdoor vents.
• Keep blower door cover shut. It’s common for the door to become loose when you change your filter.
• Make sure doors and windows latch and seal correctly. If not, replace or cover them.
• Clean air ducts. Be sure furnace is off before examining or cleaning. Remove all dirt and dust.
Call us today to schedule! We’ll keep your furnace running smoothly all winter and for years to come!